What Can I Do?
The faculty’s most important goal in training students involves development of leadership skills. Any leader, whether in private business or government service, must have knowledge of how the world works, how society operates, and how to read, write, and manage the flow of information. Also, the history major at Grambling State University prepares one for the rigors of advanced and professional degrees. History majors tend to score highly on standardized tests such as the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT).
The major employment areas suitable for history majors include public, private, and government sectors. Students earning the history degree at Grambling State University go on to careers in non-profit organizations, secondary and higher education, media organizations, public relations firms, and museums.
Few areas of employment are devoid of history majors. Leaders with history degrees include politicians, corporate executive officers (CEOs), and sports celebrities. Some Examples of Famous History Majors
- Theodore Roosevelt – President of the United States from 1901-1909
- W. E. B. Du Bois – NAACP Founder, Activist, Scholar
- Chris Hughes – Facebook Co-Founder and Entrepreneur
- Elena Kagan – Current Justice, United States Supreme Court
- Sasha Baron Cohen – Comedian, Filmmaker, and Director
- Nell Irvin Painter – Historian, and Past President of the Southern Historical Association
- Grant Hill & Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – Professional Basketball Players
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee – Olympic Athlete and Philanthropist