The mission of the Department of Recreation/Intramural Sports is to organize, administer,
and promote a broad diversified program of activities and services for students, faculty
and staff of Grambling State University. In support of this mission, the department
subscribes to the following program goals and objectives.
- To provide participation in a variety of recreational sports which satisfy the diverse
needs of students, faculty, and staff, as well as, where appropriate, guests, alumni
and public participants.
- To coordinate the use of campus sport facilities in cooperation with other user units,
such as athletics, physical education, and student union.
- To provide extracurricular educational opportunities through participation in recreational
sports and the provision of relevant leadership positions.
- To contribute positively to institutional relations through significant and high quality
recreational sports programming.
- To cooperate with academic units, focusing on the development of a recreational sports
curricula and accompanying laboratory experiences.
- To provide unlimited numbers of students, faculty and staff with varied, voluntary,
constructive and satisfying leisure time outlets from which to choose.
- To provide opportunities for physical, social and mental development through a varied
program of structured and unstructured recreational activities.
- To provide an opportunity to develop total wellness through participation in various
- To provide opportunity for individuals to develop the feeling of cooperation, camaraderie
and loyalty to a group.
- To provide an opportunity for individuals to develop positive sportsmanship and integrity
with regard to rules, officials and opponents.
- To provide opportunity for every individual, regardless of skill level or physical
capability, to enjoy the experience of voluntary participation.
- To enhance leadership capabilities, and to guide participants in shaping their social
and ethical values.
- To provide an opportunity for the development of sport skills that will serve participants
in the future.
- To provide opportunities for the development of positive attitudes toward recreational
activity throughout life.
- To provide an opportunity for recreation and relaxation from strenuous school work
and the rapid pace of modern living for both students, faculty and staff.
- To provide sufficient equipment, safe and supervised facilities to encourage wholesome
participation in a large variety of activities by a large number of students, faculty
- To promote overall wellness of the entire university community.
It is desired that every student who participates in intramural activities will benefit
in the following ways:
- Improved physical and mental health through the medium of intramural/recreational
- Learn the skills and establish lifelong patterns of participation in a variety of
activities so that there will be enjoyment of appropriate sports in after-school life.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Grambling State University, Recreation/Intramural Sports Department is designed
for the purpose of providing the entire college community with the opportunity to
participate in a variety of formal and informal activities. These activities encompass
team sport, individual and dual sports, special event activities and competitive and
noncompetitive activities. In addition to the obvious benefit of physical fitness,
it is hoped that participants will also obtain from this program, improved skills,
new and lifelong leisure time skills and social and ethical qualities. (Cooperation,
trust, regard for others, etc.)
A high level of skill is not a prerequisite to participate in any activity offered
by this department. Therefore, all eligible students, staff and faculty members are
urged to take part in as many activities as time and interest might permit. It is
felt that these objectives are consistent with the Grambling State University Mission.