× NOTICE! For university updates related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit www.gram.edu/coronavirus/.
Campus Living & Housing

Campus Living & Housing

Frequently Asked Questions


Are all freshmen required to live on campus?
All new incoming freshmen and transfer students classified as freshmen are required to live on-campus unless they meet the off-campus requirements.

When should I apply for housing?
Students are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as they are officially admitted to the university. Space in the residence hall is limited. Once all spaces have been assigned and the student is notified, the student will have to secure housing outside the university campus.

How do I apply for on campus housing?
You may apply and pay on-line by logging on to Banner Web with your G Number and pin. A student can also obtain an application online at www.gram.edu/student-life/residential-life/applications: or you may pick up an application from the Residential Life Office located in Grambling Hall, Suite 216.

How much is the pre-payment?
Requests for a room assignment require a payment of $200.00 (includes a $50 application fee & $150 room reservation fee) before an application can be processed. This payment must be in the form of a money order, debit or credit card.

What completes my application process?
      • The $50 application fee and $150 room reservation fee must be received and credited to the students account.
      • The On-Campus Housing application must be submitted to the Residential Life/Housing office.

Can I remove GSU’s furniture from the room?
No. All GSU property must remain and be stored in the assigned room.

Can a student change roommates or residence halls before fall semester?
Room changes and residence hall changes may be accommodated as space allows with the appropriate requests and information submitted to the Department of Residential Life.  All changes must be approved by the Department of Residential Life and the student must sign the necessary documents.

Is my housing application a binding agreement?
Once a student’s housing application has been processed, it becomes a binding agreement to which the student is financially committed.  Students submitting a housing application agree to live on campus and are responsible for all housing and meal charges.

Is my housing pre-payment refundable?
Your $150 room reservation fee is refundable if paid by the priority deadline: July 1st- for Fall Semester; December 1st for Spring Semester and May 1st for Summer Sessions. After the priority deadline the room reservation fee is not refundable.

After my housing fees are paid, are they refundable?
Payment in-full is non-refundable unless the student does not register or resigns from the university prior to the close of offices on the 14th class day for the fall & spring semesters and by the 7th class day for the summer sessions. In this case, there will be a pro-rated room charge from the time the student moved in the room until the day the student officially moved out.

How can I be released from my housing agreement at the end of the fall semester?
Current residents may submit a request with documentation to be released from their housing agreement anytime during the fall semester. Approval will only be given to students who provide documentation and a valid reason for not being able to fulfill their housing commitment during the spring semester (ex. military service, medical condition, marital status, enrollment status).  If approved, the student must be properly checked out of the residence hall by the end of the fall semester.

When can a student live off campus?
A student may request to live off-campus once he/she has obtained 60 or more credit hours.  The Request for Exemption to the Housing Policy form is located on-line at www.gram.edu/student-life/residential-life/applications  or you may pick one up at the Residential Life Office located in Grambling Hall, Suite 216.  The deadline to submit a request is two weeks prior to school starting. The form must be submitted to the Director of Residential Life for approval.  If denied, the student must acquire on-campus housing.

Can freshmen have cars on campus?
Freshmen are allowed to have cars on campus.

Is there a curfew?
There is not a curfew; however, there is an opposite/same sex visitation policy of noon to midnight in each residence hall.

Are student’s items insured by Grambling State University?
No, the university is not liable for your personal property. We recommend that you purchase Personal Property Insurance or check your home owner’s insurance policy.

Do students have to remove their belongings at the end of each semester?
Students must be completely registered for the Spring Semester and provide registered Fee Sheet and fill out a Semester Break Storage Form in order to leave items during the December closing. Items cannot be left in the room after the Spring & Summer closing dates.

For more information, visit our webpage at www.gram.edu/student-life/residential-life/applications

To contact the Office of Residential Life, call us at (318) 274-2504 or send an email to: gsuhousing@gram.edu.

Click here for PDF